Carbon monoxide, a by-product of combustion, is present whenever fuel is burned. Gas or oil furnaces, gas refrigerators, gas clothes dryers, gas ranges, gas water heaters, fireplaces, grills and wood burning stoves are all common producers of carbon monoxide. These safety tips can help you avoid the potential dangers of carbon monoxide:
- Equip your home with carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the house or apartment.
- Test alarms regularly and replace them every five to seven years.
- For best protection, use interconnected carbon monoxide alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Equip your home with both smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms, or combination smoke and fire alarms.
- If the alarms sound, leave the house as quickly as possible. Open the windows, go outside and call 911 or the fire department.